From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] many packages are available in gentoo?
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 03:52:28
1 On 8/29/05, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o> wrote:
4 > Note that such a number wouldn't be useful for comparing with, say,
5 > other distributions or ports, because a) we can SLOT things, so we
6 > don't need separate foo-1, foo-2 and foo-3 packages, and b) we don't
7 > need to do a zillion foo, foo-python, foo-perl etc packages because of
8 > USE flags.
11 Some wise person once said that "Its not the size of the tool its how well
12 it works." I think that perhaps all this fuss over how many packages are in
13 the repository is kind of pointless. The issue is really does it work for
14 your use. Sure Fedora may have 6 billion packages but if it lacks the ONE
15 packages that you need to do that job and its not easy to create a package
16 for it then by golly Fedora isn't very useful. From personal experience I
17 find it much easier to create ebuilds for non standard packages than it is
18 to create RPMs plus the Portage tree has most of the packages I need by
19 default (and as an added bonus I don't have to hunt down a thousand
20 dependencies to install a single package).
21
22 So instead of comparing raw numbers think about this... Does it work for
23 you? In non-standard situations is it easy to get it to do what you want it
24 to do? If the answer to both is yes I think that says far more about the
25 distro than the size of its repository. Just my $0.02
26
27 -Mike
31 Michael E. Crute
32 Software Developer
33 SoftGroup Development Corporation
34
35 Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware.
36 "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"