From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mac Mini with Grub booting Mac OSX and Windows?!
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 15:01:33
1 On 30.05.2013 18:29, Tamer Higazi wrote:
2 > ...
3 > which in turn means that
4 >> Windows will not use the GPT table. This is a really stupid Windows
5 >> limitation, but we can't do anything about it.
6 >
7 > hmmmmm....
10 >> The Linux kernel can use GPT with no restrictions, however booting is
11 >> another story.
12 >> Booting directly from GPT requires a GPT-aware bootloader such as GRUB
13 >
14 > Intel Mac's are EFI Platforms that cannot boot Windows and that we would
15 > have to deal with BIOS Emulation that wouldn't make us of the GPT Table.
16 >
17 > fine, and wonderfull....
18 >
19 > Now I have Grub2 with GPT support available, we can boot Gentoo and OsX
20 > but what about Windows which runs in BIOS emulation mode, and won't make
21 > use of the GPT table....
22 >
23 > ...
24
25 Making Windows boot from GPT for non-EFI systems is possible with hybrid
26 GPT-MBR partition tables. Details:
27
28 http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html‎
29 and google 'hybrid MBR'
30
31 I've been using this for a while already and can say that it's doable,
32 working and stable, but in case you occasionally run
33 non-hybrid-MBR-aware partitioning tools such as fdisk, gparted, etc, you
34 can face some problems (though as far as I've encountered by now, only
35 problems related to booting windows).
36
37 Anyway this is probably the only solution for multibooting.
40 Best wishes,
41 Yuri K. Shatroff