From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE weirdness after upgrade past Sunday.
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 15:49:09
1 On 3/4/20 8:41 AM, Dale wrote:
2 > All the timing of the above problems are very similar.  I believe they
3 > have the same cause.  When I finished my updates, I logged out, went to
4 > boot runlevel, used checkrestart to make sure everything that needed to
5 > be restarted was clean, restarted any that weren't and then when back to
6 > default runlevel.  In the past this has always worked fine.  Thing is,
7 > elogind is in the boot runlevel.  I'm going to have to get used to
8 > restarting it manually I guess.  Could elogind be the cause of all
9 > this?  Would it be safe to put elogind in the default runlevel?  That
10 > would solve the problem of me forgetting to restart it after upgrades.
11 > Or would some other service in the boot runlevel start it as a
12 > dependency anyway??
13 >
14 > When I get to a point where I can logout and back in, I'll test
15 > restarting elogind to see if it helps.  Thing is, I'm not really sure
16 > what all elogind does but from what little I know, it sounds like a good
17 > place to start.  Thing that confuses me, checkrestart not showing it
18 > needed to be restarted.  It's never failed me before.
19
20 I was recently in a similar position (but not such serious effects) but
21 discovered that elogind refused to restart.  The message was that it
22 wouldn't start because it was already started, but that implies that it
23 simply failed to stop, without producing any error message.  I didn't
24 want to fight it any further, so I just rebooted.
25
26 Jack