From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] printing problems
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 23:12:32
1 On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 05:01:26PM -0800, Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 11/02/2015 04:46 PM, Philip Webb wrote:
3 > > 151101 Daniel Frey wrote:
4 > >> I had so many problems with hplip I stopped using it. I found another way
5 > >> to use my hp CP1025nw with foomatic and that works trouble-free.
6 > >
7 > > Don't be coy ! -- What did you actually do which works (smile) ?
10 > It's a driver for Laserjet printers, it won't work on deskjets AFAIK.
11 > The driver is foo2zjs: http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/ - it relies on
12 > ghostscript.
13
14 I used to use foo2zjs happily many a year ago. But then it vanished from
15 portage and I never got it working again.
16
17 > I looked and it looks like that won't help you. I had so many problems
18 > with hplip randomly stopping working and refusing to reinstall I gave up
19 > on printing for six months before I found foo2zjs.
20
21 What I found out is that the plugin hplip downloads for my laserjet 1000
22 is a self-extracting archive running on python2, but it does not state a
23 python version. So if your system python is set to v3, the plugin intall
24 will fail with only an “I failed” message. Once I switched to python 2, it
25 ran through. *shrug*
26
27 A few days ago I couldn’t get my printer to print more than one page in a
28 go. It just stops after the first page. Luckily, I have a virtual Ubuntu
29 which I originally set up just out of curiosity, but now acts as my printing
30 client, because it just works™.
31
32 If I find the time, I will go through the tips of this thread myself.
33
34 PS.: The printer is from 2004, and only now the toner, which is the one I
35 bought with the printer – is getting weaker.
36 --
37 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
38 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
39
40 Why do Java developers wear glasses? – Because they don’t C#.