From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Why my wierd ifconfig setup won't work in iproute2... ever.
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 03:22:21
1 On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 11:27:56PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote
2 >
3 > But if I include the line...
4 >
5 > modules="!iproute2"
6 >
7 > ...it works perfectly. What's frustrating is that it works under
8 > ifconfig, but not under iproute2. I'll check with the local linux
9 > user group in town (mailing list) to see if I can get any hints.
10
11 I now have the answer. It's not what I wanted to hear, but at least I
12 can stop pounding my head against a brick wall. I found out from the
13 networking gurus on the local Linux mailing list that...
14
15 * ifconfig is ancient (goes back to before 2005)
16
17 * back then 169.254.0.0/16 was just another address block, and ifconfig
18 happily treats it as such
19
20 * in May 2005, RFC3927 was done http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3927.txt
21 It defined IPV4 link-local networking in 169.254.0.0/16
22
23 * it says, amongst other things...
24 > This document does not recommend that IPv4 Link-Local addresses and
25 > routable addresses be configured simultaneously on the same interface.
26
27 * iproute2 is relatively new, and follows that recommendation. It's
28 probably hard-coded not to support link-local and non-link-local
29 addresses simultaneously on the same NIC.
30
31 * My only option in an iproute2-only environment would be to get a 2nd
32 NIC and attach the TV tuner to it.
33
34 * My HDHomerun tuner is almost a museum-piece (spring of 2010). I
35 figure that by the time ifconfig support is finally deprecated, I'll
36 be looking for a new tuner, rather than buying another NIC.
37
38 So I'll keep going with 'modules="!iproute2"' until ifconfig is
39 deprecated.
42 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
43 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications