From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Having Trouble with Wireless Interface
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 09:30:09
1 On 15/05/2014 10:39, Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, 14 May 2014, at 12:36 pm, Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>>> …
5 >>>> If you like to check if RTL8192CE is enabled in your kernel's .config
6 >>>> file. If it isn't, you probably want to compile it as a module, and then
7 >>>> add rtl8192ce to /etc/conf.d/modules as well.
8 >>> Am pretty sure there's no need to add this one to /etc/conf.d/modules - IME it'll just be found and loaded automagically by the kernel.
9 >>
10 >> Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't aware of that. As I mentioned in
11 >> my previous post, I do not use genkernel myself.
12 >
13 > Neither do I - for this reason I found it a little frustrating trying to help in a recent thread, myself.
14 >
15 > However, I'm pretty sure that loadable kernel modules behave the same whether your kernel is built "by hand" or by genkernel - if you have modules listed in /etc/conf.d/modules then I have to wonder if you really need them there.
16 >
17 > I haven't used that file for years, and I prefer to compile everything as a module, too.
20 Some modules don't autoload, usually because there's no hardware they
21 drive and so nothing to probe.
22
23 netfilter modules come to mind, as well as VirtualBox. One of the vbox
24 modules doesn't autoload by just stating VirtualBox, so the easiest is
25 to put it in /etc/conf.d/modules so it's always available. It's an edge
26 case, so the vast majority of modules load properly without intervention
27 form us.
33 Alan McKinnon
34 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com