From: Dutch Ingraham <stoa@×××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] foo2zjs make install error
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 12:04:57
1 On 04/15/2014 07:42 AM, Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 15 April 2014, at 2:06 am, Dutch Ingraham <stoa@×××.us> wrote:
4 >
5 >> … The error message I'm getting at the make install
6 >> command is:
7 >>
8 >> "Error - foomatic-rip is not installed!
9 >> Install foomatic packages for your OS
10 >> make [install test] Error 1"
11 >>
12 >> …
13 >> To stay out of TL;DR territory, a short list of what I have checked so far:
14 >>
15 >> - re-installed cups, cups-filters, foomatic-db, and foomatic-db-engine,
16 >> with the same use flags on both working and non-working installs;
17 >>
18 >> - removed the foo2zjs package and re-downloaded and compiled from scratch;
21 > I assume that one of these foo* packages supplies the foomatic-rip command, and that you can run foomatic-rip manually?
22 >
23 > A quick grep of /usr/portage/net-print/ suggests the foomatic-filters package may be the one, but I wouldn't swear to it.
24 >
25 > Stroller.
29 Thanks, Stroller.
30
31 I should have included this in my first post: "locate foomatic-rip"
32 returns, on both installations:
33
34 /usr/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip
35 /usr/share/man/man1/foomatic-rip.1.bz2
36
37 I cannot run foomatic-rip manually.
38
39 I haven't been able to determine exactly what package supplies
40 foomatic-rip, but the man page states:
41
42 "foomatic-rip is a universal print filter which can be used as CUPS
43 filter or stand-alone for spooler-less, direct printing. It has the
44 following features:
45
46 It translates PostScript and PDF from standard input or a file to
47 the printer's native language on standard output.
48
49 The translation is done with an external renderer, usually
50 Ghostscript (gs(1)). If no translation is needed (PostScript printer)
51 the renderer's command line reduces to cat(1). The way how this
52 translation is done is described in a PPD file.
53
54 Printer capabilities, how to handle user options, and how
55 to build the renderer command line is always described by PPD files,
56 these PPD files usually come from Foomatic or can be the ones supplied
57 by the manufacturers of PostScript printers. The PPD files are the same
58 for both CUPS and direct printing.
59
60 foomatic-rip works with CUPS (and for direct printing without
61 spooler). The mode is selected by the command line options and
62 environment variables which are supplied to foomatic-rip.
63
64 foomatic-rip does not only apply option settings supplied by the
65 user through the command line of the printing command, but also
66 searches the entire job for embedded option settings (only PostScript
67 jobs). Here not only settings which affect the whole job are taken into
68 account, but also settings in the page headers, which are only valid
69 for the page where they were found, so applications which produce
70 PostScript code with page-specific printer option settings are fully
71 supported."
72
73 Thanks for your help. Ideas anyone?