From: Rudmer van Dijk <rudmer@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any booby-traps with AMD64?
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 05:29:36
1 On Saturday 27 August 2005 05:41, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > This'll be my first linux install that won't be 32-bit Intel. I've
3
4 Congratulations! you've made a wonderful choice 8-)
5
6 > been reading the AMD64 install docs on the Gentoo.org website. The big
7 > items I've noticed are...
8 > - stick with ext2fs/ext3fs with all other filesystems being unstable
9
10 oh? for almost a year now I have an AMD64 system and I've used reiserfs for
11 all my filesystems without any problems! so I can really recommend reiserfs
12 but I can't say anything about other filesystems...
13
14 > - do not enable kernel pre-emption if I want firewire to work
15
16 I don't know about firewire and preemtion since I don't have firewire. But
17 recent kernels have two preemt options: full and voluntary preemtion maybe
18 you can try both and see what happens.
19
20 > - enable 32-bit emulation for some apps
21
22 yup, if you want to use Flash then you need a 32-bit browser.
23 to use win32 codecs you need a 32-bit mplayer.
24
25 > I notice that the AMD64 Gentoo install manual at
26 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml only lists
27 > GRUB. Does LILO not work on AMD64?
28
29 never tried to use lilo on AMD64, since I switched from lilo to grub and never
30 want to go back.
31
32 > I intend to use the following partition layout...
33 > - / 8 gigs
34
35 a little tiny: your /usr gets very big when you have a lot of programs (Gentoo
36 installs everything on /usr by default) and your posrtage cache easily
37 reaches ~3GB...
38
39 I suggest to create a /usr partition of ~8GB and a / of ~2GB
40
41 > - swap 2 gigs
42 > - /var 8 gigs
43 > - /home gets the rest of the drive. There'll be tons of my garbage
44 > under /home/misc. /usr/local and /opt will be symlinks on / with
45 > the actual files sitting in /home/misc/local and /home/misc/opt.
46
47 in Gentoo /usr/local is almost not used: du /usr/local only lists empty dirs.
48 so this can just reside on the /usr partition
49
50 > This layout reflects my experiences from my Windows and Redhat days.
51 > Keep the OS on its own partition, so you can blow away and re-install or
52 > install the next version as required.
53 >
54 > Anything else to watch for when installing on AMD64?
55
56 not that I know of, so have fun with your new system!
57
58 Rudmer
59 --
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list