From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 19:43:45
1 On 12/20/06, Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > At that point it's gone. I cannot put into an overlay
4 > > what I don't have. Probably most frustrating has been that I
5 > > don't know it will be removed until it's been removed.
6 >
7 > You could, as soon as you have a system in a working state, tar up
8 > the entire /usr/portage tree, and then, when you find an upgrade
9 > has broken an essential package, untar the ball over your new tree,
10 > and re-emerge the old version of the package. Once a month or so,
11 > when you find that also the newest tree gives you a working system,
12 > you would tar up that /usr/portage instead and remove the old one.
13 > This is the dead simple, brute force way, no overlay required. :)
14 >
15 > Benno
18 Yes, I think this is a simple answer. A bit difficult for 5-7 machines
19 if I do it separately for each, but not too bad.
20
21 If I wanted to take the plunge I should probably learn to run my own
22 portage server where I suppose I could learn to keep things like this
23 even if the main server wants to get rid of things.
24
25 The thing is that I don't want to start ignoring valid reasons to get
26 rid of packages, like security problems or broken code that's fixed in
27 new revs.
28
29 Anyway, I appreciate all the ideas and everyone's POV. I'm just
30 speaking from what I've seen and experienced.
31
32 Cheers and out for now,
33 Mark
34 --