From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 14:12:10
1 On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 8:59 AM Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > You could, but this is either a sink-hole for time, or you need to get up to
4 > speed with cross-compiling and binhosts. I went with the standard Debian and
5 > evaluate Arch from time to time. But I do run Gentoo on my DIY NAS with an
6 > i3-2000. Gentoo has ZFS in portage without overlays, which–for me–is one of
7 > its biggest appeals.
8
9 ++
10
11 Obviously I'm a huge Gentoo fan, but on an ARM SBC unless you're
12 either experimenting or you actually intend to be patching or
13 reconfiguring packages the precompiled option is the way to go. When
14 I'm using less-popular SBCs (ie not Pis) then I will usually look for
15 whatever distros are supporting it in the most first-class way, again,
16 unless I'm experimenting. Then I look for what has the software I
17 need already packaged (again, check the arch because a binary package
18 repo doesn't necessarily include your device, especially if it is 3rd
19 party). I've had to compile things on ARM SBCs and it is SLOOOOOW.
20
21 I have the same philosophy with containers. If I'm just running a
22 service, and not tweaking things, I'll just pick the least-fuss base
23 for my container whatever that is.
26 Rich