From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 16:56:56
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
3 > Sent: Thursday, December 8, 2022 6:12 AM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
6 >
7 > On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 8:59 AM Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
8 > >
9 > > You could, but this is either a sink-hole for time, or you need to get
10 > > up to speed with cross-compiling and binhosts. I went with the
11 > > standard Debian and evaluate Arch from time to time. But I do run
12 > > Gentoo on my DIY NAS with an i3-2000. Gentoo has ZFS in portage
13 > > without overlays, which–for me–is one of its biggest appeals.
14 >
15 > ++
16 >
17 > Obviously I'm a huge Gentoo fan, but on an ARM SBC unless you're either experimenting or you actually intend to be patching or reconfiguring packages the precompiled option is the way to go. When I'm using less-popular SBCs (ie not Pis) then I will usually look for whatever distros are supporting it in the most first-class way, again, unless I'm experimenting. Then I look for what has the software I need already packaged (again, check the arch because a binary package repo doesn't necessarily include your device, especially if it is 3rd party). I've had to compile things on ARM SBCs and it is SLOOOOOW.
18 >
19 > I have the same philosophy with containers. If I'm just running a service, and not tweaking things, I'll just pick the least-fuss base for my container whatever that is.
20 >
21 > --
22 > Rich
26 Pine64 has an interesting array of SBCs which are both cheaper and (some are) possibly better suited to becoming a NAS than a Pi. One of them even has a PCIe socket I think.
27
28 Compiling Gentoo on an SBC is usually a long, slow process, but if you don't mind setting up a cross-compile environment on a more powerful system and using some combination of distcc and/or binpackages then it's not too horrible.
29
30 LMP