From: Fernando Rodriguez <cyklonite@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] In search of an truecolor-capable terminal emulator
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 15:18:03
1 On 04/25/2017 10:38 PM, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > On 04/25 07:38, Floyd Anderson wrote:
3 >> On Di, 25 Apr 17:47:22 +0200
4 >> tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
5 >>> Hi,
6 >>>
7 >>> currently I am using urxvt as my standard terminal
8 >>> application, which is FAST and reliable.
9 >>> But it only emulates 24bit colors if instructed so.
10 >>> It maps 24bit rgb to 256 color using a fast but not
11 >>> total correct formula to to do (which is no critism -
12 >>> its just the way ot is implemented).
13 >>>
14 >>> I googled qyite a bit to find 24color terminal
15 >>> emulators and the one, which came closer to
16 >>> what I want is sakure.
17 >>> But comparing the speed of sakura with urxvt
18 >>> (catting a long log file twice while measureing the time
19 >>> of the second cat) it shows that sakura needs
20 >>> six times more time than urxvt.
21 >>>
22 >>> Combining this with the compile sessions, which
23 >>> are one of the core features of Gentoo ;)))...
24 >>>
25 >>> What I want is the "fastest" possible (...)
26 >>> terminal emulator supporting true color (24bit).
27 >>> I dont need fancy configuring options (two exception:
28 >>> TABS! and lightweighted) and I dont want KDE stuff (or
29 >>> any other bloated thing with thousands of dependencies...)
30 >>> I am simply using openbox.
31 >>>
32 >>> What are your experiences?
33 >>>
34 >>> Any hint is heartly welcome! Thanks !
35 >>>
36 >>> Cheers
37 >>> Meino
38 >>>
39 >>> PS: The terminal emulator dont need to be part
40 >>> of Gentoo necessarily...if it is compilable
41 >>> by a human being withoyt super powers... ;)
42 >>>
43 >> I am using rxvt-unicode also as my main terminal emulator. Its true colour
44 >> emulation bothers me also but just only a little bit.
45 >>
46 >> As a second one, xfce4-terminal runs here from time to time (seldom). A
47 >> quick time/cat test with a gcc-5.4.0 log file (approximately 25 MiB) shows
48 >> surprisingly that xfce4-terminal runs six time faster than rxvt-unicode.
49 >> Maybe one reason is that urxvt looks for URLs and email addresses to
50 >> colourising them.
51 >>
52 >> Maybe you can get a suggestion from [1].
55 >> References:
56 >> [1] <https://gist.github.com/XVilka/8346728>
57 >>
58 >> --
59 >> Regards,
60 >> floyd
64 > Hi Floyd,
65 >
66 > thanks for the informations! :)
67 >
68 > A few minutes ago I emerged xfce4-terminal and tried the
69 > cat-time-test of yesterday: 29 secondes with xfce-terminal
70 > and 5 seconds with urxvt. Hmmmm...
71 >
72 > You have got the reversed results compared with mine...
73 >
74 > What the heck slows down the output of the terminals on my
75 > Gentoo and only let urxvt shine?
76
77 Possibly your use flags and/or openbox (if not using a GL compositor).
78 Try enabling all GL related flags for the terminal emulator and it's
79 dependencies and use a GL compositor like kwin or compiz. Modern
80 graphics cards are designed with modern software in mind. Many don't
81 even have a 2D engine anymore.
86 > Cheers
87 > Meino
88 >
89 > PS: I found XVilka before. That's why I asked for some experiences
90 > of other users.... :)
102 Fernando Rodriguez