From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Python forced upgrade
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 12:22:55
1 On Sunday, November 4, 2018 6:31:53 PM CET Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I had an older machine "appliance" (mythtv-frontend) that hadn't had an
5 > update in a while (migrated to 29.1 yesterday/today.)
6 >
7 > I searched around on the mailing list as portage advised updating itself
8 > but it got itself in a circular dependency with python and wanted to
9 > install an unstable version of portage as a result, which I didn't want.
10 >
11 > After wasting 30 minutes waiting for portage to calculate dependencies
12 > (using --backtrack=1000) I got po'ed and forced python to install using
13 > --nodeps. This worked, I was able to install portage and continue
14 > updating my system from there.
15 >
16 > The problem is there's no more python-updater to make sure that python
17 > is in a sane state. Any suggestions for making sure python is actually
18 > in a sane state?
19 >
20 > Dan
21
22 I usually do a full rebuild of everything (using --empty) in a chroot and then
23 update using binary packages on the main system if I haven't done an update in
24 a long time.
25
26 If it's just python you want to be sure of, you can check the "Version
27 upgrade" steps listed on:
28 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Python
31 Joost