From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Searching for Overlays
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 08:50:21
1 On 06/08/2015 03:27, James wrote:
2 > OK so yes I know overlays in the wild can be disastrous.
3 > Reading the devmanual while parsing through various ebuilds
4 > both portage and in the wild, does make for some interesting
5 > reading:: ymmv.
6 >
7 > I'm not sure my overlay (kung_fu) is complete.
10 > 'layman -L' lists reasonably qualified overlay sites; but you
11 > have to add them to search out their content directly.
12 >
13 > 'eix -R <keywordname> ' will search far and wide for a given
14 > overlay; like the distributed database 'cassandra.
15 >
16 > Some googling suggest that zugaina contains a master list of overlays?
17 > (not sure how true this is).
18 >
19 > I'm not sure if 'eix -R' or 'browsing zugaina' provides the widest possible
20 > list of (mostly safe) overlay sites.
21 >
22 > Last, googling for the name + ebuild or overlay can find packages,
23 > but if the archive (git etc) is not listed with a layman -L:: be
24 > very cautious.... audit the details of the overlay.
25 >
26 > Specifically, on dev-db/cassandara I find 2.1.3 and 2.12
27 > ([5] "spike-community-overlay" layman/spike-community-overlay)
28 >
29 > but the cassandra.apache.org site shows 2.1.8 and 2.20 as the
30 > stable and testing downloads currently available. So is it safe
31 > to use the "spike-community" overlay as a basis to update the cassandra
32 > ebuild I have available?
33 >
34 > In general, is there a list (even a private list) of know good/bad
35 > actors on these overlay sites?
38 > Any further tidbits on searching out and qualifying overlays (yes
39 > I know only a full code audit is actually safe) that folks use
40 > or would suggest would be keen. I did see some gentoo wiki pages on the
41 > subject but they seem terse or dated.
44 To find Joe Random Hacker's overlay and see what's in it, I tend to
45 browse zugaina. Coverage is decent and most stuff from most folks active
46 in the Gentoo ecosystem is there.
47
48 If an overlay is not listed on zugaina, these days it tends to be on
49 github or similar. I usually just do a git checkout and cast my own
50 eyeballs over the ebuilds. If I'm happy, import into layman (I think
51 it's -o) with the xml file that should be provided
52
53 Thus far I've had good success. As with everything else in Gentoo it's
54 buyer beware, and train your eyeballs and brain beforehand. There does
55 not seem to be an easy shortcuts.
59 Alan McKinnon
60 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com