From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] old kernel on Gentoo
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 10:31:19
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
3 > Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2020 21:36
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] old kernel on Gentoo
6 >
7 > On 6/17/20 12:52 PM, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
8 > > Hello,
9 > >
10 > > I might need to build and run an old 3.x kernel on a Desktop PC for
11 > > some very specific tests. Would Gentoo be a good solution?
12 > >
13 > > I see that currently gentoo-sources only includes 4.x and 5.x sources.
14 > >
15 > > Thanks,
16 > >
17 > > raffaele
20 > I use a 3.18.40 kernel, currently, on one of my AMD systems. It has
21 > thousands of source build packages, not only from portage but many others.
24 What about the rest of the system, in particular GCC and the C libraries? Do you manage to build the 3.x kernel with up to date system or do you need to ''freeze'' some packages?
25
26 Thanks,
27
28 raffaele