From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 21:00:39
1 Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> writes:
2
3 >> The cynic in me says that it's because Tim Berners-Lee
4 >> invented HTML, not Richard M Stallman.
5 >
6 > Info has been around a lot longer than HTML, but I think you're
7 > largely correct.
8
9 There is entirely to much made of RMS. I don't know him personally
10 and just a tiny bit from direct correspondence (beginning on an
11 emacs.help list) on several occasions.
12
13 I found Richard to be responsive and helpful. He cuts right to the
14 chase and lays out the problem. On the other hand, I'm no emacs
15 developer or even a very skilled user. But yrs of emacs use has
16 taught me that the tools RMS has participated in are serious tools and
17 well developed always heavy on documentation.
18
19 Emacs has very good documentation in a variety of places and formats.
20
21 But getting to the point about `info'. The texinfo format is an
22 excellent one for handling text only documentation. The hyperlinking
23 makes it easy to jump around in large documents.
24
25 I recommend that people use emacs to read `info'. They work really well
26 together and the vast arsenal of search and other tools in emacs are
27 brought to bare in `info' reading. Once you used emacs for `info'
28 reading the standalone `Info' reader will seem pretty primitive.
29
30 One of the major advantages of `info' is that things like the bash
31 manual are indexed allowing an `i' index search for most things.
32
33 Inside emacs you press `C-h i' to get to the base list of `info'
34 documentation... then press:
35 `m' (which prompts you for a menu item),
36 type in `bash <enter>' (to get to the bash table of contents)
37 (replace bash with NAME as needed, of course).
38
39 Once inside the bash documentation you have a variety of tools at your
40 disposal including emacs bookmarks.
41
42 The `i' index search that finds things in the index and takes you to
43 the concomitant sections is accompanied by the `s' search which
44 searches the entire bash document for a regex. As well as the always
45 useful `incremental search' for searching individual pages.
46
47 Once you've mastered the navigation commands it is (almost) a pleasure
48 to read documentation in `info' using emacs.
49
50 Any subject referred to in the documentation is usually hyperlinked so
51 you can review it instantly... then press `l' to return to the main
52 documentation (or last place you were reading)
53
54 There is also a whole mode for editing `info' documents... probably
55 not so useful for reading up on a command but can be really helpful if
56 you want to leave your own notes in there somewhere. Possibly the
57 examples you've figured out.