From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new box DRI problem : more
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 04:08:30
1 071030 James Ausmus wrote:
2 > On 10/30/07, Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> build the Mesa modules from git, the 1.2.2 and 1.4 part:
4 >> http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Building
5 >> These three lines were added to i915/intel_context.h since 7.0.1:
6 >> #define PCI_CHIP_G33_G 0x29C2
7 >> #define PCI_CHIP_Q35_G 0x29B2
8 >> #define PCI_CHIP_Q33_G 0x29D2
9 > You don't have to go to all that, the media-libs/mesa-7.0.1 works fine
10 > *IF* you apply the attached patch (either hack the ebuild
11 > or CTRL-Z immediately after emerge gets done unpacking the source).
12 > I had the same problem you did, did the Googling, found the patch
13 > and everything works fine for me now.
14
15 I did try unpacking the MesaLibs distfile, patching & repacking,
16 but of course Portage objected that the file size was incorrect !
17 I've looked at the Mesa ebuild, but have no idea how to hack it
18 nor am I confident of applying the patch during a suspended emerge.
19 I could try the 2nd, but could you fill out a few more details of the 1st,
20 which I will note for future occasions ?
21 This certainly looks like the solution to the DRI problem.
22
23 Meanwhile, what I believed to be a small irritant is proving a show-stopper.
24 Leaving aside DRI, the display from the new machine spills off the screen:
25 it's way off to the left (eg Gkrellm is invisible on the KDE desktop)
26 & loses about half the KDE panel when placed at top/bottom/right-side;
27 mouse-X starts left of centre & the fonts & icons are badly oversized.
28 KDE Control Centre tells me the display is 1680x1050 @ 60 Hz (as it sb).
29 Elsewhere, it does appear the screen's physical size ( 430 x 270 mm )
30 is being recognised, tho' perhaps it's not being applied correctly.
31
32 I believed the problem was due to faulty thro'put by my KVM switch,
33 but plugging the monitor directly into the new machine make no difference.
34 I don't see any obvious solution in the monitor manual (Samsung 206BW).
35 The current machine using an Nvidia card & direct monitor plug-in
36 produces none of these defects, suggesting the cause is the G33 chip.
37 I'm not keen to buy another Nvidia card, if I can avoid it ...
38
39 Any advice here too wb very welcome.
43 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
44 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
45 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
46 --
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list