From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] State of ATi drivers in Linux
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 22:34:22
1 On Sunday 28 September 2008, Hal Martin wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > I am contemplating building a new computer with an AMD/ATi graphics
5 > card. I've been following the subject of ATi driver quality in linux for
6 > a while, but I realize that the experiences I read on Google search
7 > results are, shall we say, biased, as many people who have perfectly
8 > working cards don't go out and comment on how great their drivers are.
9 >
10 > So, do any of you have newer (HD series) AMD/ATi graphics cards?
11
12 HD3870
13
14 > What drivers (AMD closed source, or open source) are you using?
15
16 fglrx - the closed source ones.
17
18 > Are they stable?
19
20 yes. Switching between vt and X works, and restarting X too - but the ati
21 scripts in /etc/acpi have to be removed.
22 With desktop effects turned off 2d is fast and snappy and video is ok.
23 With desktop effects turned on 2d is fast except manually resizing windows and
24 xv-video sucks. Luckily kde 4.1 makes it easy to switch ;) - and I don't need
25 xv ;)
26
27 > How is the performance?
28
29 very good. I play ut2004 and vegastrike 0.5. With a but. See above.
30
31 > Any noise issues with your card when it's idle? Under load?
32
33 the fan is very quiet in KDE or playing games. Only in the menus of ut2004 or
34 on a vt it turns up - but is still very bearable.
35 aticonfig --odgt
36
37 Default Adapter - ATI Radeon HD 3870
38 Sensor 0: Temperature - 51.00 C