From: forgottenwizard <phrexianreaper@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: removing X
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 01:03:36
1 On 18:20 Mon 24 Dec , reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 > > On 2007-12-24, reader@×××××××.com <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> I'm attempting to remove X from a former desktop machine now
7 > >> going to see action as a semi-DMZ.
8 > >
9 > > That sounds like a lot of work. My guess is that it would be a
10 > > faster and easier to wipe the disk and install from scratch.
11 >
12 > I would have done that without hesitation had it not been for the fact
13 > that this installation is a vm guest on winXP and I had a heck of a
14 > time getting it to work with gentoo.
15 >
16 > But as it turned out it wasn't all that hard. Mainly because it was
17 > kind of a basic installation even though it had X and KDE desktop.
18 >
19 > The fact that emerge can swallow giant size lists of stuff to
20 > uninstall was a big bonus. I didn't go over 86 on cmdline and just
21 > settled for doing it multiple times, but I think it would have
22 > swallowed more if I had.
23 >
24 > --
25 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
29 Something to remember for the future:
30
31 You can delete entries in the world file
32
33 Personally, I find that faster than going through and finding what is
34 already installed, and doing the uninstall the long way. emerge --tree
35 should help some, as well, but for a basic install (<30 packages in
36 world), deleting the entries should be the fastest way, followed by an
37 emerge --depclean.
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list