From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Building packages in different prefix without rebuilding system packages
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 05:13:44
1 François-Xavier Carton wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Is there a way of installing packages in a different prefix while still
5 > using system packages? I've tried setting EPREFIX, however doing that
6 > will install all dependencies in the prefix, even if there are already
7 > installed in the system.
8 >
9 > I was hoping to install some packages in user directories, but I also
10 > don't want to duplicate the packages installed globally. For example,
11 > most packages eventually depend on gcc, which I definitely don't want to
12 > compile twice. So ideally, only dependencies that are not installed
13 > globally should be pulled in.
14 >
15 > I was not able to find a way of doing that, but I feel like it shouldn't
16 > be too hard, because EPREFIX almost does what I want. Does someone know
17 > if it's possible without too much tweaking?
18 >
19 > Thanks,
20 > -François-Xavier
23 I'm clueless on EPREFIX but if you want to avoid compiling a package
24 twice, would the -k option help?  If you have portage set to save the
25 binaries you compiled before, it would install from that instead of
26 compiling things twice.
27
28 Just thought I'd mention just in case it would help.
29
30 Dale
31