From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating Blue-ray video discs
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 16:23:14
3 Best Regards,
8 Laurence Perkins
9 OS Engineer
10 OpenEye
11 www.openeye.net
12
13 On Fri, 2020-05-29 at 07:38 -0500, Dale wrote:
14 Andrew Udvare wrote:
17 On Fri, May 29, 2020, 05:02 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com<mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
18 Howdy,
19
20 A few weeks ago, I ran up on a deal on a Blu-ray burner. It's a LG and
21 smartctrl -i shows this:
24 === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
25 Vendor: HL-DT-ST
26 Product: BD-RE WH16NS40
27 Revision: 1.04
28 Compliance: SPC-3
29 >> Terminate command early due to bad response to IEC mode page
30 A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more
31 '-T permissive' options.
35 Anyway, I have some HD videos I want to burn to a Blu-ray disc in HD.
36 I've used Devede and Devedeng to create DVDs for a while. I prefer the
37 old Devede but the new ng version works well. It doesn't however seem
38 to create Blu-ray discs. I googled and found how to play some of them
39 at least that are commercially made. I can't find however what software
40 is used to create my own.
41
42 Does anyone know what software to use to create HD video Blu-ray discs?
45 You're referring to Blu-ray authoring like creating menus and making a video disc that works in a set-top player. There isn't any software for Linux I know of that does this, especially the menu part. The menu part can be in a simple format or it can be more advanced with BD-J.
46
47 Studios use Scenarist BD https://www.scenarist.com/scenarist-bd-professional-blu-ray-disc-authoring/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.scenarist.com_scenarist-2Dbd-2Dprofessional-2Dblu-2Dray-2Ddisc-2Dauthoring_&d=DwMDaQ&c=sJXHf1mumFHnbuqawQcOuA&r=MLC99WkEiyNGhxWZ52v4PVQ0MpIXOzl3Sdnj9liHsoY&m=7KzhgdyvQguAgsRtkWBlr7r0zIc1OY7g8XtBQeqhQgg&s=_FHRC6Ym3RznZj5OX4x3vfbM7CFO-_7MEgvpvyinzik&e=>
48
49 There's MultiAVCHD for free. Maybe it works with Wine?
52 I tried wine once, it was a disaster. I can't recall what little program I was trying to run but it never did. It seems that what I want to do isn't doable on Linux and requires software that has to be purchased at that. That's disappointing that Linux can't do this. Looks like I'll have to use my new Blu-ray burner for data backups. Bummer. I really wanted to make that gardening video HD. No wonder people use their game boxes and buy media centers that have hard drives in them and then stream things from the internet. Basically, other than storing data files, Blu-ray isn't worth much except for commercially made media.
53
54 Well, even if I knew this before, I'm still glad to have the thing. It certainly holds more files than a DVD.
55
56 If anyone knows of a tool to do this, I'm all ears.
57
58 Dale
59
60 :-) :-)
61
62 P. S. Time to go to the doctor and get my weekly shots.
63
64 note that blu-ray r and re disks are only bit stable for about 5 years. i recommend dvdisaster for upping the amount of ecc data to reduce your lossage.
65
66 doing some quick reading, it looks like you just need to get the right filesystem, filenames, and video codecs on the disk. it's different from dvd, but should be documented somewhere. i don't have time to go hunting for it right now, but if nothing else some examination of a blu-ray that plays correctly should show you what goes where.
67
68 lmp
69
70 p.s. apologies; shift key isn't working.