From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo gets as bad SuSE: Circular dependencies [WAS: Thank you Gentoo devs]
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 16:18:29
1 * Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 Hi,
4
5 > > At least several. I didn't find an good solution for checking
6 > > the whole tree yet, so I yet know some. Good candidates are
7 > > where PDEPENDs occour. For example the Xserver.
8 >
9 > As Bo has already explained, PDEPENDS cannot cause circular dependencies,
10 > in fact they prevent them.
11
12 Or in other words: an way of making circular dependencies some
13 bit less painful.
14
15 <snip>
16
17 > Yes, it is a good solution, because the circular dependency is
18 > caused by changed USE flags in the first place. You did notice
19 > my use of the word "temporarily", didn't you?
20
21 If the package management cannot handle such cases 100% automatic,
22 I'd consider it as buggy.
23
24 Just my personal oppinion, and I'll fix it at my site.
25 Anyone who shares my oppions and likes to join me, feel free
26 to give a note.
27
28 <snip>
29
30 > If A depends on B and B depends on A, you build A without support
31 > for B, then you can safely install B and A again with the features
32 > you wanted.
33
34 Great idea. Lots of redundant compiles and manual work just because
35 unclean dependencies.
36
37 <snip>
38
39 > > > Since you are clearly able to solve a problem that comes fro upstream
40 > > > and which the combined might of SUSE and Gentoo has failed to do,
41 > >
42 > > Which problem from the upstream ?
43 >
44 > Interdependency of unrelated packages.
45
46 In case of the Xserver ?
47
48 Okay, mesa still suxx, but the borderline between server and
49 drivers is clear.
50
51 Let's see if we get the driver API moved out to its own package,
52 so we it'll be some bit clearer (could also make licensing issues
53 some bit easier), but that's another story.
54
55 <snip>
56
57 > > The problem w/ x11-base/xorg-server are the PDEPENDs on (external)
58 > > driver packages. I dont see any valid reason for depending the
59 > > Xserver on drivers, which themselfes depend on the Xserver.
60 >
61 > The server does not depend on the drivers, it depends on them, it
62 > wouldn't be much use without at least three drivers.
63
64 It *P*DEPENDs on them. That's an (strange) kind of special dependency
65 which is pulled in *after* install, instead of *before*. But still
66 it is an dependency.
67
68 So, Xserver dependens on driver(s), drivers depend on Xserver.
69 Circular dependency.
70
71 q.e.d.
72
73 > > In fact, I'll provide an solution. It will be published within the
74 > > OSS-QM project. But I won't waste any second on filing any bug,
75 > > just for that it's marked invalid by folks like Jakub.
76 >
77 > Jakub is no longer a bug-wrangler, or a dev, he retired last month.
78
79 Ah, good things still happen ? ;P
80
81 Maybe we could have another try:
82 I'll publish my overlay in a few days. Feel free to try it out
83 and get some stuff into offical tree.
86 cu
87 --
89 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
91 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
92 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
93 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
94 http://patches.metux.de/
96 --
97 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list