From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Machine not booting properly: profile.env cannot execute binary file
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 03:29:00
Hi all,
	My machine went feral which resulted in me having to kill the power to
kill it. Upon reboot everything looked good, fsck did it's job, [ok]'s
scrolled up the screen etc and then I got the login prompt. I entered my
username & password and then the fun began.

	I got:

-bash: .: /etc/profile.env: cannot execute binary file

If I tried any command, say ls, I got:

-bash: ls: no such file or dir

	I've now rebooted the machine using a relatively recent sysrescueCD and
had a look at profile.env and it's binary but I thought it should have
been text!!!! In the top line or so it mentions "ld" for some reason. I
checked the same file on the boot disk and it's text. One or two I found
on line are also text.

	Does anyone have any idea as to what's going on here? Should I just
grab the profile.env from the boot disk and drop it into the /etc dir?
Or should I go through the whole process of chroot off a gentoo disc and
then run env-update as it says in the header of the text versions I'v seen?

	Thoughts greatly appreciated,