From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage tree hosed?
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 04:13:51
1 Adrian wrote:
2
3 >Greetings. I'm trying to set up a new Gentoo box.
4 >
5 >I downloaded the latest portage snapshot, untared it and ran
6 >
7 >emerge regen
8 >
9 >now everything I try to emerge I get:
10 >
11 >Security Violation: A file exists that is not in the manifest
12 >
13 >>From doing a google, it looks like i need to run
14 >
15 >emerge sync
16 >
17 >in order to fix this. However, if I could sync then I wouldn't be
18 >doing this. Everytime I try to sync it times out and I never finish.
19 >I'm on dial-up, so it's a bit slow. I am trying to install
20 >emerge-delta-webrsync and try from there, but of course, I can't emerge
21 >anything . . .
22 >
23 >Suggestions please?
24 >Thanks in advance
25 >
26 >Adrian
32 I did a manual download once, I think the command you want is emerge
33 metadata. May want to try that first. I'm also familiar with dial-up.
34 I used to be on a slow 26K connection. It sucks. My sympathies and I
35 hope you can get a better connection one day soon. Yea cable modem. :-)
36
37 You do know that if you get it to where you can do a regular sync, it is
38 a lot faster than a manual download, most of the time anyway?? Just a
39 thought.
40
41 Hope that helps.
42