From: Robin Atwood <robin@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] KDE5: no desktop
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 15:04:20
1 I finally grasped the nettle and did the Plasma 5 upgrade. The first machine
2 went OK eventually (apart from the week spent resolving blockers), so I
3 thought the second would be much smoother. And so it was, until I logged on. I
4 got the splash screen, a bouncing ball as something started and then a black
5 screen relieved only by a cursor and a couple of apps in the autostart list.
6 kwin-x11, plasmashell, ksmserver are all running, it seems like something got
7 omitted in the install. Does anyone know which binary starts the window
8 manager and taskbar, etc? I did the usual things like create a new user,
9 rename .kde4, to no avail.
10
11 I have already posted on the Gentoo forums but didn't get much help. You can
12 see the post with the sddm log here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1057060.html. Hopefully the vast intellects of the Gentoo list will have an
13 idea! My current workaround is to install lxqt as the desktop; it works pretty
14 well, if a bit rough around the edges.
15
16 Cheers
17 Robin
18 --
20 Robin Atwood.
21
22 "Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
23 Where there ain't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst"
24 from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling
36 This message has been scanned for viruses and
37 dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
38 believed to be clean.