From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Peeve - finding kernel config options
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 19:39:19
1 On 27/02/2014 19:24, Dan Johansson wrote:
2 >> This clearly states that the prompt you're looking for is a line that
3 >> > says "open by fhandle syscalls" under "General setup"
4 >> >
5 >> > Sure, it's not the absolute simplest interface (i.e. it doesn't give a
6 >> > 'enable this' in the search results) but it does give all the
7 >> > necessary information about a given option to find it (as well as
8 >> > dependencies and their current states, etc). The most likely reason
9 >> > the news item doesn't list the specific "prompt" text (or even the
10 >> > category) is that, across even sub release versions of the kernel
11 >> > those are prone to change (and, at times, drastically) while the
12 >> > actual CONFIG_<name> option tends to be fairly static through time
13 >> > once it exists (even when superseded by new toys, i.e. older
14 >> > IDE/ATA/ATAPI options vs newer PATA options).
15 > But if you press "1" in the example above you will "jump" directly to
16 > the menu item. Clue --> (1)
19 OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
20
21 I've been rolling kernels happily by hand for 10 years+
22
23 Almost all that time I've had a question: "How can I easily just go
24 straight to the option when I have it on the help screen?"
25
26 Now I have a new burning question. Where is the closest geek-card
27 recycling facility? because I obviously don't deserve the one in my
28 wallet anymore
31 Alan McKinnon
32 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com