From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Nagios testers wanted
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 17:00:58
1 On 11/05/2014 11:42 AM, James wrote:
2 >
3 > Um, I'm not up on the results of the Nagios user revolt (fork) from
4 > a few years ago. Maybe if you clarify that recent history more folks
5 > would be interested in Nagios?
6
7 If no one is interested, that's great -- I can push my changes with
8 reckless abandon =)
9
10 I'm not up-to-date either, but Nagios is still in the tree, and we still
11 use it, so I'd like to clean up a bit.
14 > Let's make a deal. Lots of folks are trying to get Nagios running
15 > on Mesos/spark as a cluster based tool. Have your (hacks) efforts
16 > focoused on runnning Nagios on a mesos/spark cluster?
17
18 At the moment I'm just trying to clean up the existing ebuilds so that
19 we can jump to the newest major version. There are a ton of other things
20 that need to be fixed, but I'm not going to work on them without a nice
21 clean starting point.
22
23 If the 4.x bump doesn't break existing, working, setups, then hopefully
24 I can just commit it and start on this list:
25
26 https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=nagios
27
28 Porting it to a cluster (whatever that involves) would come after the
29 version bump.
32 > I think the Nagios user community is now splintered (it's been
33 > a while since I looked at Nagios seriously) cause the "main dude"
34 > became such a *F!zt* so that most users left his fiefdom. Has that
35 > changed? Do illuminate the recent history of Nagios, please?
38 You give me too much credit. I know that it forked into Icinga, but
39 Nagios is still being developed upstream. We use it as a glorified
40 `ping` that likes to wake me up at 4am, and it still works just fine for
41 that, so I haven't worried too much about the politics.