From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Home Network Printing
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:34:33
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: John Jolet [mailto:john@×××××.net]
3 > Sent: 30 November 2005 20:14
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Home Network Printing
6 >
7 > one way you can do this is use the features of cups...for instance,
8 > my macintosh has a laser printer attached: the cupsd.conf sys this:
9 > Port 631, Listen /private/var/run/cupsd, BrowseAddress @LOCAL,
10 > BrowseShortNames No, BrowseAllow @LOCAL, BrowseDeny ALL and later
11 > <Location />
12 > Order Deny,Allow
13 > Deny From All
14 > Allow From @LOCAL
15 > Allow from 192.168.1.51
16 > </Location>
17 >
18 > all this allows all machines on the same subnet as my mac
19 > (@LOCAL) to
20 > browse the list of printers and allows all from the local subnet to
21 > print, well, i've also explicitly allowed my laptop access.
22 >
23 > on the laptop, I also have Port 631, and not much else. I have NO
24 > printers configured in my laptop...default gentoo install. when i'm
25 > on the net, it gets the broadcast from the mac and I can
26 > print...when
27 > i'm not, i have no printers at all.
28
29 Thanks John,
30
31 Let me understand this right: Have you installed cups on the laptop?
32 Any printer drivers? When you run localhost:631 in a browser on your
33 laptop, what do you see under printers when the laptop is connected to
34 the mac and what when it's not? (assuming you restart cupsd on each
35 case to refresh its status).
36
37 PS. An OT question - I am really curious what is the default mac
38 firewall settings. Can you please post the output of: # iptables -L -v
39 --
40 Regards,
41 Mick
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list