From: Tom Eastman <tom@×××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] A Gentoo Enema
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 05:31:41
1 Hey all,
2
3 Sorry about any imagery conjured up by the subject line... I've been
4 running the same gentoo system on my computer for several years now...
5 keeping it relativey updated, but over time there's always cruft that
6 builds up, stuff that gets left behind during upgrades, or re-installs.
7 Packages that don't change version for a long time, and don't get
8 recompiled with the latest compiler, etc etc and so on and so forth.
9
10 So what I want to do is give my computer a complete clean-out. What I
11 really CAN'T be bothered doing is a complete format and re-install!
12
13 One idea I've had is to delete almost every entry in my 'world' file,
14 and then do an 'emerge depclean'. That would be pretty cool, empty out
15 a huge amount of stuff, and then start re-installing at my leisure.
16
17 But what that *wouldn't* do is delete all the files in random places
18 that aren't owned by any particular package. This would be a good thing
19 to do when spring cleaning, as it were.
20
21 Is there a tool that will allow me to find *all* files that aren't owned
22 by any package, so that I can then decide what to do with them?
23 Obviously skipping directories such as /home/. Then I can delete
24 everything that doesn't look critical, hopefully without losing my stuff
25 in places like /boot or /etc either :-)
26
27 Then I think I would do an emerge -e system, and then start re-adding
28 applications I wanted.
29
30 What do you think? Does anyone have any ideas about good ways of
31 'refreshing' my gentoo system? All suggestions appreciated :-)
32
33 Thanks!
34
35 Tom