From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: I'm in a Pickle
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 00:43:16
1 On 12/25/11 16:54, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 12/25/2011 09:08 PM, CJoeB wrote:
3 >> Happy Holidays, Everyone,
4 >>
5 >> To lead into the problem I am experiencing, I will let you know about an
6 >> issue I've been having with my desktop (writing this from my laptop).
7 >> Every once in a while, when the screensaver kicks in and then, the
8 >> monitor goes on power save mode (something inherent to the monitor), the
9 >> screen locks (I have not set it to do this) and the only way, I can get
10 >> the computer going again is to reboot it by holding down the power
11 >> button. This is annoying, but has not caused an issue until today.
12 >
13 > You shouldn't do that. There's the SysRq key combination to safely exit
14 all programs, umount the filesystem and reboot.
15 Yeah, *know* I shouldn't do that! :-) However, you just "taught" me
16 something I didn't know.
17 >
18 > You can Google for it. Wikipedia also has an article:
19 >
20 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
21 >
22 > (The "SysRq" key is usually the "PrintScrn" key.)
23
24 Thanks for this!
25
26 Regards,