From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: buying a keyboard
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 18:19:53
1 On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 12:49, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> 090604 Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> On Thursday 04 June 2009 16:39:39 Dale wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> Ajai Khattri wrote:
8 >>>>
9 >>>>> About once a year, I wash all my keyboards (no, seriously).
10 >>>>> Dishwasher, quick wash, cold, leave somewhere warm to dry couple days.
11 >>>>>
12 >>>> When I was working on computers, I used to clean them with pure alcohol
13 >>>> then lay them on top of the A/C condenser, you know, the hot part.
14 >>>>
15 >>> IBM system M keyboard ... best keyboard ever made.
16 >>>
17 >>
18 >> I'm still using the keyboard which came with my Sanyo XT in 1989 :
19 >> lives on dust + crumbs, never cleaned, works as well as when I got it.
20 >> Secret ? -- actually made in Japan ... (grin)
24 > Secret, it actually has a switch instead of some touchy crap.  While
25 > that switch is not completely sealed, it does keep out most stuff.  Of
26 > course, Coke will upset it's tummy pretty quick.
27 >
28 > Jeez, I liked those keyboards.
31 I have an ancient Dell QuietKey keyboard. I cleaned it (yeah, removed
32 all keys) and its the best for my work. I is kinda heavy to press, but
33 that avoid lots of problems, like accidental key presses.
34
35 I also have a Logitech Dinovo Edge at home, connected to my HTPC, and
36 for that purpose, its the best.
37
38 I guess it all depends on how you'll use it.
39
40 What I hate most about some keyboards are:
41 1) The damn layout changes (like FN key at the left side of the
42 BACKSPACE, and backspace not a double size key, or right shift also
43 not double size, ENTER is another one sometimes manufacturers screw
44 around).
45 2) Useless keys inserted in the middle of the layout (like sleep,
46 standby and power down above INSERT, HOME and PAGE UP).
47 3) Absence of the pads used to lift the back of the keyboard (I can't
48 believe some people don't use them).
51 Daniel da Veiga