From: Duane Griffin <duaneg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unable to mount root dir, Segmentation failure with mount
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 01:34:46
1 2008/7/14 <pge07beb@××××××××××××××××××××.de>:
2 > Hi gentoo-users,
3 >
4 > I'm running Gentoo flawlessly on my laptop for nearly one year now, but
5 > since yesterday, I'm in big trouble. At some instance (surfing in the web,..
6 > nothing horrible) the screen froze and the only thing I was able to do, was
7 > pressing the power button 4seconds to shut the computer down.
8 >
9 > I was never able to boot my system since then.
10 >
11 > It sayed always things like: Not able to find root file system (or
12 > likewise)
13
14 Ouch.
15
16 > So I plugged in my live-cd to recover the whole thing...
17
18 Good idea.
19
20 > But I wasn't able to mount the root partition, so I tried e2fsck, which
21 > turned out to find a whole lot of errors and told me that it corrected them.
22
23 Not such a good idea. For future reference, unless you don't mind
24 losing the data, always take a block-level snapshot, if possible,
25 before doing anything else. You don't know what state things are in,
26 writing to it could make the situation worse.
27
28 > Thus I retried to mount the file system, which resulted in an big error of
29 > mount, saying something about Kernel BUG (?!?)
30
31 D'oh! Congratulations, you found a kernel bug! :)
32
33 > At that point I realized that this could become a major problem for me,
34 > since all my personal data is on my root partition (I know, I should't do
35 > that...but thats the way things are right now)
36
37 Oh dear. You have backups, right?
38
39 > I used dd to make a copy of this partition to an external hard disk, and
40 > begun to recover it from there.
41
42 Excellent!
43
44 > dd gave no errors as it copied the partition, so I think this is no hardware
45 > failure
46
47 Hopefully. I'd be extra careful about backups for a while, though.
48
49 > I rerun e2fsck on the partition, it corrected a little more, but after that,
50 > it didn't found anything new, but I still wasn't able to mount the partition
51 > (nor the partition dump)
52 >
53 > The crutial part of the dmesg output seems to be:
54 >
55 > Assertion failure in cleanup_journal_tail() at fs/jbd/checkpoint.c:430:
56 > "blocknr != 0"
57 >
58 > Is this a known issue with ext3 filesystems?
59
60 Google says someone else hit it once upon a time, but it doesn't seem
61 to be listed on the kernel bugzilla. Your journal is corrupted and the
62 kernel is not being as careful as it should before using on-disk data.
63 If you remove the journal you will hopefully get some or all of your
64 data back. On a *COPY* of the partition image do the following to
65 replace the old journal with a new one:
66
67 tune2fs -O ^has_journal <image>
68 e2fsck -f <image>
69 tune2fs -j <image>
70 e2fsck -f <image>
71
72 If everything looks OK and the data you care about is all there then
73 you can go ahead and fix up your real disk. If you wouldn't mind
74 though, please keep a copy of the corrupted image. I'll prepare a
75 patch to fix the BUG and it would be helpful if you could test it once
76 it is ready.
77
78 > Thaks in andvance for any help,
79 >
80 > Carsten
81
82 Cheers,
83 Duane.
86 "I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan
87 --
88 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list