From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge stopped working
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 07:12:50
1 On 05/02/2011 06:05:08 PM, Davide Carnovale wrote:
2 > @alan, no error are printed, where and what should i look for in the
3 > logs?
4 >
5 > @helmut python just returns to the console, without error or effect
6 > of
7 > any
8 > sort, does it means python has get unmerged and that's why emerge
9 > doesn't
10 > work anymore?
13 You have got many hints from others.
14 To consider the problem from all sides you my try
15
16 ldd /usr/bin/python2.6
17 ldd /usr/bin/python2.7
18
19 and see if all dynamic libraries could be loaded.
20
21 And if that fails, here a hint from an earlier thread
22
23 Recovering Gentoo from a broken python
24 This may be a life saver. I noticed that I have two version of python
25 installed on my Gentoo box. So I thought I'd try uninstalling the old
26 one. This actually uninstalls the latest version libraries leaving me
27 with a warning such as "ImportError: no such module time". This is bad
28 as you cannot use emerge at all not even to emerge python to fix
29 things. To fix, as root:
30
31 cd /root
32 wget http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/Python-2.7.1.tar.bz2
33 tar jxvf Python-2.7.1.tar.bz2
34 cd Python-2.7.1
35 ./configure
36 make
37 ./python emerge python
38 cd /root
39 rm -rf Python-2.7.1*
40 You are now fixed.
41
42 Or replace 2.7.1 by 2.6.6 if your system has been running under
43 Python 2.6 before the problem arose.
44
45 Helmut.