From: Raphael Mejias Dias <raphaxx@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo for a virtual server in the cloud?
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 19:30:15
1 On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 4:22 PM tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > On 2022-03-18 20:03+0100 n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
4 >
5 > > I rent a low-cost virtual server in the cloud. The platform offers me
6 > > some choices in linux distributions, but I'm wondering if I can
7 > > compile gentoo to run on it. Anybody have experience doing this?
8 >
9 > If the platform offers you access to the VGA output via VNC or whatever
10 > and lets you mount an ISO in a virtual DVD drive, it pretty much works
11 > like any other Gentoo install.
12 >
13 > Another option is to shrink your filesystem and partition, make a new
14 > partition and install Gentoo from the old install.
15 >
16 > You could also try to make Grub boot into an ISO in your /boot
17 > partition. If you don't have access to the VGA output, you could try to
18 > find a ISO that starts an SSH server automatically and lets you set the
19 > password via the kernel cmdline.
20 >
21 > Kind regards, tastytea
22 >
23 I've read this question and now I'm curious about how much it would cost to
24 compile a Gentoo system into cloud. Anyone know this?
25
26 Regards, Raphael