From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 13:46:01
1 On Fri, 28 February 2014, at 8:05 am, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
2 >>> …
3 >>> * Netscape (under AOL) aimed at becoming a pseudo-OS on top of Windows.
4 >>> We know how that turned out.
5 >> You appear to be underestimating it - whilst the AOL suite was hated by many of those "forced to use it" (I guess in the late 90's or early 00's), it is / was so massively popular with grannies that it is still available today.
6 >>
7 >> ...
8 >> AOL's desktop suite has certainly not been a failure for the company.
9 >
10 > This must be a US -only thing since I've never even heard of AOL
11 > desktop/suite before, even while lived through the 90's and the bulletin
12 > board times (as being a SysOp myself ;-)
13
14 I'm in the UK, myself.
15
16 The AOL software is browser, email, IM and ads, all wrapped up in a single Windows application.
17
18 http://i.imgur.com/bUin2ki.png
19
20 I doubt there's anyone on this list who wouldn't find it obnoxious, but there are people who are really happy with it.
21
22 Stroller.