From: Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Custom DNS Servers for DHCPCD
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 00:39:41
1 On Monday 25 September 2006 02:05, Lord Sauron wrote:
2 > I'm sure this is an easy fix, however, I'm not sure how to do this
3 > exactly...
4 >
5 > Is /var/lib/dhcpc machine generated?
6
7 yes
8
9 > I want to set my own custom DNS servers for my server (the ones that the
10 > DHCP host gives are wrong and are very slow!) and I have some
11 > replacement ones. I think that by setting the DNS servers in
12 > the /var/lib/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth0.info file might change that, however,
13 > the file looks machine-generated to me.
14
15 It doesn't, that file only shows what the dhcp server told dhcpcd to use.
16 It is not used by your system for dns information.
17
18 /etc/resolv.conf lists the dns servers your system uses. (nameserver)
19
20 > I looked through the wiki to fix this problem but I didn't find anything
21 > that looked like it'd help. Some assistance here would be great.
22 >
23 > The two DNS servers I need are 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2.
24
25 Configure dhcpcd to run with -R so resolve.conf is not replaced with the
26 resolve directives recieved from the dhcp server.
27
28 In /etc/conf.d/net:
29 config_eth0=("dhcp")
30 dhcpcd_eth0="-R"
31
32 Now you can add/replace your own dns servers in /etc/resolve.conf
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list