From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 05:47:45
1 Howdy,
2
3 Some may recall me mentioning using LastPass to manage my passwords.
4 Obviously, it can generate very strong passwords that are different for
5 each site.  It can also remember them as well which makes things more
6 secure than using just a few passwords for all sites.  One for things
7 like financial sites, maybe a less secure one for some site you still
8 want reasonably secure and a even weaker one for sites you don't care
9 about hacking, and hackers likely won't either.  I know some people who
10 do this even today.  Heck, ages ago, I was one of them.  Things change
11 tho.  Some passwords can be hacked in seconds by a desktop computer,
12 including my own if I had the software and knowledge to do it.
13
14 The one thing about most all password managers, they have a master
15 password.  That one password unlocks the rest.  Trick is, having that
16 one be a good one that is easy to remember, type on a keyboard and be
17 secure, virtually unhackable but also unforgettable.  I've had what used
18 to be a strong password for a while.  Thing is, with today's computing
19 power, it really isn't anymore.  While no one could just guess it, it
20 could be cracked/hacked I'm sure.  I need to come up with a new one that
21 meets the requirements I just mentioned.  Strong, easy to remember, easy
22 to type but won't forget.  I've read that using maiden names, years of
23 birth or whole dates of birth, actual names, pet's name, words in a
24 dictionary and a whole list of other things makes it easier, especially
25 if you post a lot on social media, for hackers to use against you.  I'm
26 trying to avoid that sort of thing obviously and have a couple ideas but
27 am curious as to what method others use, without exposing to much detail
28 since this is public.
29
30 How do you, especially those who admin systems that are always being
31 hacked at, generate strong passwords that meet the above?  I've googled
32 and found some ideas but if I use the same method, well, how many others
33 are using that same method, if you know what I mean.  ;-)  Just looking
34 for ideas.
35
36 Thanks much.
37
38 Dale
39
41
42 P. S.  I haven't had time to deal with the video thing in previous
43 thread.  It's on my todo list still.  :-(