From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 05:47:45
Howdy,

Some may recall me mentioning using LastPass to manage my passwords.
Obviously, it can generate very strong passwords that are different for
each site.  It can also remember them as well which makes things more
secure than using just a few passwords for all sites.  One for things
like financial sites, maybe a less secure one for some site you still
want reasonably secure and a even weaker one for sites you don't care
about hacking, and hackers likely won't either.  I know some people who
do this even today.  Heck, ages ago, I was one of them.  Things change
tho.  Some passwords can be hacked in seconds by a desktop computer,
including my own if I had the software and knowledge to do it.

The one thing about most all password managers, they have a master
password.  That one password unlocks the rest.  Trick is, having that
one be a good one that is easy to remember, type on a keyboard and be
secure, virtually unhackable but also unforgettable.  I've had what used
to be a strong password for a while.  Thing is, with today's computing
power, it really isn't anymore.  While no one could just guess it, it
could be cracked/hacked I'm sure.  I need to come up with a new one that
meets the requirements I just mentioned.  Strong, easy to remember, easy
to type but won't forget.  I've read that using maiden names, years of
birth or whole dates of birth, actual names, pet's name, words in a
dictionary and a whole list of other things makes it easier, especially
if you post a lot on social media, for hackers to use against you.  I'm
trying to avoid that sort of thing obviously and have a couple ideas but
am curious as to what method others use, without exposing to much detail
since this is public.

How do you, especially those who admin systems that are always being
hacked at, generate strong passwords that meet the above?  I've googled
and found some ideas but if I use the same method, well, how many others
are using that same method, if you know what I mean.  ;-)  Just looking
for ideas.

Thanks much.

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  I haven't had time to deal with the video thing in previous
thread.  It's on my todo list still.  :-(