From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to configure thochpad sensitivity (using hal)?
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 01:12:40
1 Can anybody point me to a hint on how to configure synaptics touchapad
2 sensitivity?
3
4 The touchpad on my Thinkpad T500 is so sensitive you don't even have
5 to touch it. Merely bringing a thumb or finger within 1/8 - 1/4 inch
6 will cause the cursor to twitch spasmodically for a second and then
7 jump to the lower left corner of the screen. Once you have a finger
8 on the touchpad, it seems to work OK.
9
10 I've figured out how to disable it temporarily using the "xinput"
11 command, but I would like to actually get it working right.
12
13 All the docs I can find seem to assume two things:
14
15 1) an xorg.conf file
16
17 2) the xf86-input-synpatics driver
18
19 I'm using neither.
20
21 I decided finally to give in and let Xorg use HAL like it wants to by
22 default when you do a Gentoo install.
23
24 What a huge mistake. I really, really hate HAL. With xorg.conf, all
25 the settings were in one file, in an easy to read, easy to edit
26 format. Now with HAL, they're scattered over several files. And to
27 make sure you can't edit or read them, they're in XML. I have no idea
28 what "problem" HAL is supposed to be solving, but it apprently wasn't
29 a problem I ever had -- AFAICT HAL is nothing but pain.
32 Grant