From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 15:52:58
1 On 2013-08-11 11:15 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 10:25:33 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> So, looks like the best strategy is not to blindly update eudev, and
4 >> always check these things, before attempting an upgrade, and waiting
5 >> for it to catch up if/when it happens.
6 >
7 > Well, you shouldn't blindly update anything,
8
9 True... and I never do. I sync daily, then do an emerge -pvuDN world,
10 and note which packages want to be updated. I then track them, and after
11 a few days, if nothing has changed, update them.
12
13 For critical apps (boot/system related or server app related (ie,
14 postfix, dovecot, etc), I also always google for any problems with them
15 (gentoo+appver) right before updating.
16
17 I was always fairly careful in the past, but I started being anal about
18 it after I got bit by the minor mailman version bump a while (few
19 years?) ago that changed the locations of critical stuff (like, where
20 the lists were stored), thereby violating one of gentoo's cardinal rules
21 that minor version bumps don't make changes that break things, at least
22 not without lots of warning in the form of a detailed news item
23 explaining what needs to be done to avoid the breakage.
24
25 > but the issue here was eudev *not* being updated when the virtual
26 > was, and both cause and result were quite clear.
27
28 Right, but I was talking about not updating *anything* related to any
29 mission critical apps, and that would include the virtual/udev as well.
30
31 That said - shouldn't this be taken care of by the the virtual/udev
32 package itself? Shoudln't it keep track of what versions of udev *and*
33 eudev it supports, and warn you (via a [B]blocker)?