From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Install from USB stick; here's how
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 22:00:13
1 On 2013-09-04, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 05:05:22PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote
3 >
4 >> So what's the deal with http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LiveUSB/HOWTO?
5 >>
6 >> Why isn't it just the steps below?
7 >>
8 >> 1) Copy the minimal install .iso to USB mass storage device.
9 >>
10 >> 2) Boot from USB mass storage device.
11 >
12 > I got the USB-stick install instructions from the Arch linux wiki at
13 > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_Installation_Media I was going
14 > to link to it in my bug/feature request. Then I noticed the following...
15 >
16 >> Warning: This method does not work with UEFI boot.
17 >
18 > Given how UEFI is spreading, I backed out of the bug report.
19
20 Do the instructions at http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LiveUSB/HOWTO work
21 with UEFI machines where the simple 'dd' method doesn't?
22
23 One datapoint: my motherboard has UEFI bios, and simply dd'ing the
24 minimal install .iso to a flash drive worked fine. When I boot up
25 with the USB drive, the BIOS boot menu shows two entries for the USB
26 drive, the first one always worked, so I never tried the second one...
29 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! -- I have seen the
30 at FUN --
31 gmail.com