From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT router advice] a router capable of detailed logs
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 06:56:28
1 On Monday 18 April 2011 22:31:38 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 <snipped - Not familiar with CISCO specifics>
3
4 > So, cutting to the chase; can anyone recommend from actual use, a home
5 > lan router that has gigabit lan ports and very configurable/
6 > informative logging options?
7
8 Not familiar with specific types, but I've had best results with the routers
9 from Zyxel. The one I used to use (ADSL) would provide a lot of information
10 via SNMP and other logging-options.
11 Also, this one had no problem with multiple (1000+) simultaneous connections.
12 Which is something other brands suffer from regularly.
13
14 > ps - I'm not interested in running an old linux or openbsd, machine as
15 > router. Having a silent cool router the size and weight of a medium
16 > book is too appealing.
17
18 I understand the sentiment. I've since stopped using pre-made routers as I had
19 the machine running anyway as a home-server and moving the router/firewall/...
20 onto the server wasn't too much of a change and did mean I could switch off a
21 small device.
24 Joost