From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Completely and totally OT] FVWM-Crystal...!!!
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:15:02
1 On 9/29/05, Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 > >
4 > > Anyway, I hope that helps explain my xrun comments.
7 > OK, sorry not to snip, but your post is a continuous
8 > thought/explanation, and it doesn't seem right-- and I don't top-post
9 > (99% of the time).
10 >
11 > I have several questions mostly leading to the same ultimate end. But
12 > only one is important to express:
13 >
14 > 1) do you actually need X? i.e., is it possible to record audio in the
15 > manner that you do without it?
16
17 I need X. I run Ardour as well as a number of other audio gui apps.
18
19 http://www.ardour.org/
22 > What occurs to me, looking in from outside, is that while your issues
23 > are clearly known to be kernel-based, and 64-bit based, the fact that
24 > you are using programs that interfere with latency/real-time issues is
25 > obfuscating the entire problem. Certainly if the choice of window
26 > managers has an effect on the severity of the problem.
27
28 Certainly. And this is not the first time I've been through this
29 having now been using Linux audio for 4 years. Belive me, I've had
30 many machines that didn't work for a while. This experience is not an
31 exception - it's pretty much the rule.
32
33 Clearly though, in my mind, this current problem is one of two things:
34
35 1) The recent kernel's are known to produce good results on 32-bit
36 machines while running X. Unfortunately the current patch sets are not
37 building for me as a 64-bit kernel. This could be because of
38 configuration chices I'm making or somethign else. The kernel patch
39 developers will eventually catch up to my issues and things will
40 improve.
41
42 2) There is a specific hardware or driver problem with the NForce4
43 motherboard. Possibly the motherboard doesn't work well, or possibly
44 the drivers have some problems. The former is not desired. The later
45 will get attention eventually.
48 > So clear the waters if you can, because you can't solve a problem that
49 > you can't clearly see the outlines of.
50 >
51 > Can you record audio from the command line? Or do the X-based programs
52 > you use run under DirectFB? What I'm getting at is getting rid of all
53 > the obstructions that could possibly interfere with the kernel and
54 > introduce even more latency issues than what it already has, so that you
55 > (or any devs) can see what problems it already has distinctly enough to
56 > solve them-- or to eliminate them sufficiently so that you can get on
57 > with doing what you do until the kernel stabilizes so you can use it
58 > normally.
59
60 Good questions. I didn't say this earlier. I probably should have. If
61 I boot this machine into a console mode (i.e. - no xdm/gdm) and run
62 Jack in one console I can log in as root in another console, do
63 emerges all day long and I get no xruns, at least with the small
64 amount of testing I've done so far. This is using 2.6.14-rc2-mm1 so it
65 has some new code but not all of Ingo's stuff.
68 > I mean, X is a horrible hog, heaven only knows what effect your nVidia
69 > or ATI kernel modules may be having on the ability of the kernel to
70 > behave properly, since they also make demands on the kernel that
71 > 'distract' it, as it were. And if Jack is a daemon (which I know it is),
72 > it's not like it needs X for itself.
73
74 Right, but as I say, much slower PCs are able to use the standard
75 Gentoo kernel and run Gnome with no xruns. It's only this 3GHz 64-bit
76 machine that has the problem. The sound card has been used in an
77 Athlon XP 1600+ machine and it works fine so I trust its drivers at
78 least in 32-bit mode.
79 >
80 > It's of course quite possible that I'm talking out of my butt,
81
82 Not the least bit possible. Your thought are clear and very coorect IMO.
83
84 > since I
85 > am not a member of the Linux audio community, but I do know that the
86 > first step in troubleshooting is to simplify the environment as much as
87 > possible, and then slowly increase the complexity to see when and where
88 > things break down.
89
90 Absolutely. Hopefully with the additional info above you'll see that
91 is what I've been doing, within my limited abilities to patch kernels,
92 etc.
95 > Were I you, I would consider:
96 >
97 > - If keeping X, switching to the absolute most minimal wm possible
98 > (twm, ratpoison, ion), to see what effect that had.
99
100 Right. FVWM, fluxbox, etc. These can just be tested.
101
102 > - If downstepping from X, investigating what programs run under
103 > DirectFB and seeing what effect that had.
104 > - If going cold-turkey off X, seeing how far you get with the
105 > command-line and ncurses programs.
106
107 Neither are really acceptable as far as I know today.
110 > Am I, in fact, talking out of my butt (since it seems that the 'real'
111 > audio community would have tried at least some of this)? Or are there
112 > reasons that this simplification process is not possible for
113 > professional audio recording?
114
115 As above - see Ardour, Jamin, Muse, Rosegarden, etc.
116
117 Thanks for your thoughts. They are helpful.
118
119 Cheers,
120 Mark
123 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list