From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Completely and totally OT] FVWM-Crystal...!!!
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:46:09
1 Mark Knecht schreef:
2 > On 9/29/05, Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Mark Knecht schreef:
5 >>
6 >>> On 9/28/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>> Great. Tried it. It worked fine and didn't upset Jack which
10 >>>> means my experiment goes on.
11 >>>>
12 >>>> This is working so much better for me than Gnome on my AMD64
13 >>>> box. I'll have to go back and try the standard Gentoo kernel
14 >>>> instead of ck-sources.
15 >>>>
16 >>>> <snip>
17 >>>>
18 >>> In the end the xruns came back so FVWM-Crystal didn't magically
19 >>> solve my problems. (unfortunately...)
20 >>>
21 >>> My quest goes on. Now running 2.6.14-rc2-mm1, looking for
22 >>> 2.6.14-rc2-mm1-rt6
23 >>>
24 >>
25 >> Am I the only one who doesn't know what are 'xruns'? Whatever they
26 >> are, it would seem that the problem can be minimized, but not
27 >> eliminated by choice of WM, but obviously we couldn't go any
28 >> further in actually eliminating them without knowing what they are
29 >> (or at least I couldn't, since I don't actually know what you're
30 >> referring to).
31 >>
32 >> Holly
35 > Holly, I'm so very sorry. Of course you would have no reason to know
36 > about xruns if you are not part of the Linux audio community. My
37 > apologies.
38 >
39 > One of the Linux 'methods', if you will, for moving audio between
40 > sound cards and applications is a server called Jack (jackd) which is
41 > supplied by emerging jack-audio-connection-kit. Jack provides for
42 > the movement of digital audio between a sound card and essentially an
43 > unlimited number of apps (really 'ports') with a known latency. It's
44 > the latency that's really important to those of us doing live
45 > recording. If I'm listening to a piano and recording my guitar then I
46 > need the two to sound like they are in time or it is virtually
47 > impossible to play a part correctly.
48 >
49 > An 'xrun', standing I think for overrun - go figure - is when
50 > something in the system has not taken or delivered digital audio at
51 > the agreed upon time. This leads to clicks and pops. If you were to
52 > look at the waveform in an oscilloscope there would be some sort of
53 > discontinuity.
54 >
55 > With my 32-bit machines I have been blessed. I have been able, for at
56 > least the last year, to run the standard Gentoo kernel at <3mS
57 > latency with no xruns. I've been writing and recording music on
58 > Gentoo and had no problems while others running on other distros have
59 > had to build specialized kernels utilizing patches from Andrew Morton
60 > and Ingo Molnar to get equivalent results. On guy in Australia didn't
61 > really beleive me so I helped him build a Gentoo box over the net.
62 > When that machien came up it worked so well, with the standard
63 > kernel, that he converted all the machines in his studio to Gentoo
64 > and no brags about how stable his environment is.
65 >
66 > I looked forward to such an experience with my new AMD64 machine. It
67 > did not come to be true.
68 >
69 > Every 64-bit kernel I've tried so far either has terrible xrun
70 > problems or will not build. This includes:
71 >
72 > gentoo-sources - xruns ck-sources - xruns kernel.org - 2.6.13.3 &
73 > 2.6.14-rc2 - xruns 2.6.14-rc2-rt6 - Ingo's patches - won't build
74 >
75 > I'm currently running 2.6.14-rc2-mm1 - with Andrew Morton's patches.
76 > I have not yet tested it but at least it built.
77 >
78 > The major change to the kernel to get better real time results is
79 > (apparently) to make pretty much everything preemptable. When Ingo's
80 > patches are added then a new preemption model shows up in make
81 > menuconfig. Unfortunately for me it won't build on 64-bit yet, at
82 > least for me.
83 >
84 > The window manager choice is just one choice those of us playing with
85 > low latency audio make. KDE has never worked well for me. Gnome has
86 > been fine for the last year until this new AMD64 experience. In the
87 > old days we used fluxbox over KDE and Gnome and got good, but not
88 > great, results.
89 >
90 > Anyway, I hope that helps explain my xrun comments.
93 OK, sorry not to snip, but your post is a continuous
94 thought/explanation, and it doesn't seem right-- and I don't top-post
95 (99% of the time).
96
97 I have several questions mostly leading to the same ultimate end. But
98 only one is important to express:
99
100 1) do you actually need X? i.e., is it possible to record audio in the
101 manner that you do without it?
102
103 What occurs to me, looking in from outside, is that while your issues
104 are clearly known to be kernel-based, and 64-bit based, the fact that
105 you are using programs that interfere with latency/real-time issues is
106 obfuscating the entire problem. Certainly if the choice of window
107 managers has an effect on the severity of the problem.
108
109 So clear the waters if you can, because you can't solve a problem that
110 you can't clearly see the outlines of.
111
112 Can you record audio from the command line? Or do the X-based programs
113 you use run under DirectFB? What I'm getting at is getting rid of all
114 the obstructions that could possibly interfere with the kernel and
115 introduce even more latency issues than what it already has, so that you
116 (or any devs) can see what problems it already has distinctly enough to
117 solve them-- or to eliminate them sufficiently so that you can get on
118 with doing what you do until the kernel stabilizes so you can use it
119 normally.
120
121 I mean, X is a horrible hog, heaven only knows what effect your nVidia
122 or ATI kernel modules may be having on the ability of the kernel to
123 behave properly, since they also make demands on the kernel that
124 'distract' it, as it were. And if Jack is a daemon (which I know it is),
125 it's not like it needs X for itself.
126
127 It's of course quite possible that I'm talking out of my butt, since I
128 am not a member of the Linux audio community, but I do know that the
129 first step in troubleshooting is to simplify the environment as much as
130 possible, and then slowly increase the complexity to see when and where
131 things break down.
132
133 Were I you, I would consider:
134
135 - If keeping X, switching to the absolute most minimal wm possible
136 (twm, ratpoison, ion), to see what effect that had.
137 - If downstepping from X, investigating what programs run under
138 DirectFB and seeing what effect that had.
139 - If going cold-turkey off X, seeing how far you get with the
140 command-line and ncurses programs.
141
142 Am I, in fact, talking out of my butt (since it seems that the 'real'
143 audio community would have tried at least some of this)? Or are there
144 reasons that this simplification process is not possible for
145 professional audio recording?
146
147 Holly
151 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list