From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] [Completely and totally OT] FVWM-Crystal...!!!
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:11:31
1 > Were I you, I would consider:
2 >
3 > - If keeping X, switching to the absolute most minimal wm possible
4 > (twm, ratpoison, ion), to see what effect that had.
5 > - If downstepping from X, investigating what programs run under
6 > DirectFB and seeing what effect that had.
7 > - If going cold-turkey off X, seeing how far you get with the
8 > command-line and ncurses programs.
9
10 I would also add the following: remoting X. X is a hog, as Holly said, but
11 there's no reason the X server would need to run on the same box as the
12 ongoing recording session.
13
14 Running two systems, one running X and handling the gui operations, and one
15 running your audio apps, might provide enough of the separation to reduce
16 the latency on the audio box. Of course the two cards should probably be
17 connected with at least a 100mb Ethernet connection (to eliminate the
18 overhead of dealing with the network conversations for X).
19
20 Another possibility might be your choice of filesystems (assuming the
21 recordings are going to disk). Different filesystems have inherent latency
22 based upon their design - journaling adds overhead, btree maintenance in
23 reiser adds overhead, etc. Just using a simple ext2 filesystem for the
24 initial recording followed by backups to a modern filesystem may have a
25 measurable impact.
26
27 Going back to X, it is a hog both in cpu cycles and in memory; you mention
28 having an amd64 but no quotes on memory. My assumption is that such a
29 system has a big chunk of memory, but I've learned what happens when one
30 assumes. Obviously a lack of sufficient memory can cause you some swapping
31 issues whether you were aware of it or not.
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list