From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Completely and totally OT] FVWM-Crystal...!!!
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:28:38
1 On 9/29/05, Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com> wrote:
2 > > Were I you, I would consider:
3 > >
4 > > - If keeping X, switching to the absolute most minimal wm possible
5 > > (twm, ratpoison, ion), to see what effect that had.
6 > > - If downstepping from X, investigating what programs run under
7 > > DirectFB and seeing what effect that had.
8 > > - If going cold-turkey off X, seeing how far you get with the
9 > > command-line and ncurses programs.
10 >
11 > I would also add the following: remoting X. X is a hog, as Holly said, but
12 > there's no reason the X server would need to run on the same box as the
13 > ongoing recording session.
14 >
15 > Running two systems, one running X and handling the gui operations, and one
16 > running your audio apps, might provide enough of the separation to reduce
17 > the latency on the audio box. Of course the two cards should probably be
18 > connected with at least a 100mb Ethernet connection (to eliminate the
19 > overhead of dealing with the network conversations for X).
20
21 This is an interesting idea actually. I currently run two boxes
22 anyway. All audio is connected between them using ADAT optical (i.e. -
23 red laser) or spdif so I've got 26 digital audio channels going
24 across. Maybe running remotely could solve some of this. Thanks.
27 > Another possibility might be your choice of filesystems (assuming the
28 > recordings are going to disk). Different filesystems have inherent latency
29 > based upon their design - journaling adds overhead, btree maintenance in
30 > reiser adds overhead, etc. Just using a simple ext2 filesystem for the
31 > initial recording followed by backups to a modern filesystem may have a
32 > measurable impact.
33
34 In fact it does. I wrote a short online paper about that a few years
35 ago. I use ext3.
38 > Going back to X, it is a hog both in cpu cycles and in memory; you mention
39 > having an amd64 but no quotes on memory. My assumption is that such a
40 > system has a big chunk of memory, but I've learned what happens when one
41 > assumes. Obviously a lack of sufficient memory can cause you some swapping
42 > issues whether you were aware of it or not.
43
44 Thisis a good point also. The machine has 512MB. This has been more
45 than enough on my previous 32-bit machines, but on this AMD64 running
46 the Gentoo 64-bit kernel it seems that memory usage is significantly
47 higher. On the 32-bit machine I seem to use about 300-350MB by the
48 time I have Gnome up and maybe Firefox open. I alomost have never seen
49 swapping.
50
51 On the AMD64 I'm seeing 450-500MB and a small amount of swapping every day.
52
53 I'm unclear about the 64-bit environment anyway. OK, it's 64-bit, but
54 I also have a pile of emulation libraries emerged to take care of
55 dependencies. I don't know when they are getting used, except for the
56 32-bit Firefox I'm running so that I get more multimedia stuff.
57
58 Anyway, more memory may well be a good thing to do.
59
60 Thanks for the ideas.
63 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list