From: "Morgan Wesström" <gentoo-bugzilla@×××××××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] What is the difference between emerge's --changed-deps=y and @changed-deps?
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 01:00:38
1 On a freshly updated system (emerge -uDN @world):
2
3 "emerge @changed-deps" wants to reinstall 0 packages.
4
5 "emerge -u --changed-deps=y" wants to reinstall 24 packages.
6
7 "emerge -uD --changed-deps=y" wants to reinstall 181 packages.
8
9 A couple of years ago there was a build breakage in Portage because, as I
10 understood it at the time, some developer changed the dependencies in an
11 existing ebuild without bumping its revision level. The solution was to use
12 --changed-deps=y to catch these occurrences and I've been using it in my
13 regular update routine since then. But as you can see in the third example
14 above, it usually wants to reinstall hundreds of packages that doesn't have any
15 updated versions and I'm wondering if this is working as intended. I have a
16 hard time believing that gentoo devs are pushing changes to existing ebuilds in
17 such numbers on a regular basis without bumping the revision level.
18
19 Some time ago I became aware that Portage now has a @changed-deps set, which I
20 assumed was accomplishing the same thing, but it doesn't produce the same
21 result as --changed-deps=y - usually just a dozen reinstalls or so.
22
23 Can someone please elaborate on what's going on here, what the difference is
24 between --changed-deps=y and @changed-deps, if that difference is intended and
25 what the recommended update procedure is these days to catch these and other
26 kinds of inconsistencies in Portage?
27
28 Regards
29 Morgan