From: "Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)" <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 11:48:56
1 On 2013-03-31, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 30/03/13 17:15, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> Ok, just read the new news item and the linked udev-guide wiki page
4 >
5 > You should probably also read:
6 >
7 > http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2013/03/predictably-non-persistent-names
8 >
9 > and:
12 > http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2013/03/predictable-persistently-non-mnemonic-names
13
14 The feeling that I got while reading the first was exactly what the
15 second talks about.
16
17 We - from what I understand - had scripts automatically generating the
18 name rules from MAC addresses, it's just that they generated stuff like
19 ethX.
20
21 Can't we just keep these scripts around (even if this was something
22 provided by upstream and we would have to forge a new incarnation)?
23
24 I mean, IMHO, net0, wl0, ... are much easier to deal with and understand
25 than something physically-based. They also avoid problems caused by
26 moving these cards around, or changes in the kernel drivers or BIOS, or
27 BIOS settings that eventually end up exposing cards in a different way.
28
29 The problem with the old approach was *just* the name clash that
30 rendered the hacky approach unreliable. Maybe we could just fix the
31 issue by using non-clashing namespaces, instead of pushing a completely
32 different (and possibly less reliable) naming scheme by default.
35 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
36 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/