From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Where's my wireless AP?
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 23:06:48
1 On 18 April 2010 22:28, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Last night I was connected wirelessly to my access point and all worked fine.
3 > Well, towards the end the connection was bobbing up and down as far as my
4 > unreliable broadcom NIC is concerned (nothing wrong with the router).  I
5 > decided to shut it down and go to bed.
6 >
7 > Today the AP is just not there!  Not there as far as this stupid broadcom
8 > wireless NIC is concerned.  The same machine booted into MSWindows has no
9 > problem seeing the AP and associating with it.  Another laptop can also see
10 > the AP and connect to it.
11 >
12 > How come the broadcom cannot see it in Gentoo, but it can see all the
13 > neighbours APs which have a much weaker signal and even associate and get an
14 > IP address from one of them?!  I am lost as to what might be causing this.
15 >
16 > Could it be some lock file that was not removed when the machine is rebooted
17 > or the wlan0 interface taken down?  Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this?
18
19 OK, I found what the problem was ... the AP is currently transmitting
20 on channel 13, which it seems is outside the capabilities of the b43
21 driver. I am blaming the driver here because the Windows 7 OS has no
22 problem using channel 13, while iwlist wlan0 in Gentoo shows only up
23 to channel 11. :-(
24
25 Will need to wait for the driver to hopefully improve.
26 --
27 Regards,
28 Mick