From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT rant] udev + /usr
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 13:20:39
1 On 2011-09-18 14:32, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2
3 > So you are going from a single bug to 'it must be evil'. If you do that all
4 > the time there isn't much software left.
5
6 You said: "I bet you can't even measure a
7 difference between dbus running and dbus not running in speed or
8 responsiveness of your gui."
9
10 I only pointed out that that was not always correct (I don't run
11 Ubuntu). And I have had a _lot_ of problems with dbus (again, this was
12 years ago, running binary distros - it's only recently that I had dbus
13 installed again due to Xfce4 requiring it); if I get burnt by some piece
14 of software (usually it's gnome/freedesktop related - seems a lot of bad
15 ideas/implementations come from that "place") I try to go "elsewhere".
16 So if your experience with dbus is different, then fine, by all means
17 use it; it is your choice. But I choose to avoid it, if possible.
18
19 And yes, it seems no matter how hard I try the "gnome" paradigm ('evil'
20 software) seems to be inching ever closer... I think developers, in
21 general, should take some hints from this guy:
22 http://www.sics.se/~adam/
23 ... he created this:
24 http://www.contiki-os.org/p/about-contiki.html
25 ... running this: