From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] :-@ Reversing xorg-server, hal and evdev.
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 07:17:57
1 On Saturday 11 July 2009 21:31:55 Dale wrote:
2 > That sounds great to me. I hope it will be easier for everybody than
3 > this hal, evdev thing.
4 >
5 > I notice there is something devkit in portage already. I wonder if they
6 > are already working on it? I hope so.
7
8 devkit is being actively developed, but it's still early days. It can deal
9 with a few hardware bits and bobs, IIRC automounting swappable media is one of
10 them. Some distros are shipping with devkit to do that function (Fedora?
11 Ubuntu?) and using hal for the remainder.
12
13 I reckon it will be a while before we see the last of hal. Personally, I can't
14 wait for that day to dawn.
17 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com